CW Senior Women's program
Castaway Wanderers Women’s program is entering its fifth year since it’s inaugural season (2015/2016). At the outset of the girls and women’s program development, the goals has always been to develop a female pathway from minis rugby through the senior division. We are pleased to announce that we will have a second women’s team this year to fully complete this pathway and provide a pathway for female athletes to grow within the club system.
To support the addition of a second team, we would like to introduce our coaching team for 2019/2020 season. This team reflects the club’s commitment to the continued growth of the female game at Castaway Wanderers.
Director of Senior Women’s Rugby and Head Coach – Jess Dovanne – a former NSW 7's and 15's players, Jess was head coach (and assistant Julien Canet) that led CW to a Premiership title in its inaugural year and has been the primary coach of our women's program since its first year.
CW Senior Women's Coaching team along with Jess Dovanne for the 2019/2020 season:
- Amy Hawkings –Amy comes to us from Calgary. As a former U of Calgary Dino in USPORT, she not only offers strong forward skill set but strength and conditioning training and background that will support our team's physical development. She has led our forward pack for the last two seasons and is making the move into the coaching ranks.
- Catie McNally – a member of that inaugural Provincial championship team, Catie was a standout at USPORT (formerly CIS) with the Guelph Gryphons and National 15s player with a number of caps at the Senior and Maple Leaf levels. She has returned to Victoria after a year of traveling.
- Rosie Lang – a very experienced player hailing from the east (Toronto Scottish) and has lived on the west coast for the last number years. Joining us from Westshore Valkryies last year, Rosie has brought a strong forward skill set to the team and is excited to contribute to the defensive and forward structures of the team.
In addition, we are very happy to see the return of our Super Manager, Chris Shepherd (Super Fan and mum of Adrienne). Carole Witter will be stepping up again this year to support the team and we can again count on stalwart game-day support from John Sheridan. Big thanks to this management team that looks after all of the details and makes the coaches jobs so much easier !
All of our coaches are Level 1 or higher, certified NCCP level coaches and have a broad variety of experience in both youth and senior coaching levels.
Coaching philosophy and approach
While we are proud of the program’s achievements (Rugby Canada awards, representation at regional, provincial and national levels), the club is focused on growth of the female game. Our focus is to develop athletes of all levels and experience and to continue to have the program grow and thrive at the youth and senior levels.
The female program within CW has come a long way in the last 8 years and the continued growth of the female game continues drive our program to innovate and support this growth effectively.
Details on our training times/location. If you have any questions about our program, please contact us at the e-mail below.
Training times and locations:
- Season – Sept – Dec (development league), Jan-May (Premier and 2nd team league)
- Tuesdays and Thursdays – 7:15 to 8:45pm @ Windsor Park
- Women’s games – Saturdays, normal game time of 11:15am (sometimes scheduled at 11:00/11:30am)
Any inquiries can be made at
CW players and coaches involved in this past summer's Western Championship for both BC and Wolfpack teams
Practice Times/Locations & TeamSnap link
|Practice / Games||Location||Time|
|Tuesday||Windsor Park||7:15pm - 8:45pm|
|Thursday||Windsor Park||7:15pm - 8:45pm|
|Games - Saturday||Windsor Park or Opposing team field||11:15am - 12:45pm|