A Chilly Welcome to Chile!
Coach Jones will try to conjure a selection that can provide a win for the home team at Westhills on Friday evening (7:00 p.m.) when Canada welcomes Chile. Both Chile and Canada have failed to secure a victory after two matches in the ARC competition, with Chile being the cellar dwellers, Canada having earned one point in a bonus point loss to Uruguay. Chile has a large 78 point differential, compared to Canada’s -11. WR rankings have Canada at 21st and Chile at 29th. Chile suffered a massive loss to the US at home in round one, 71 – 8. Canada’s two losses in South America were bitter pills, particularity against Brazil.
Canada’s starting selection will come from;
2. Eric Howard – (NOLA Gold) Ottawa, ON
3. Cole Keith – (Toronto Arrows) Sussex, NB
4. Mike Sheppard – (Toronto Arrows) Brampton, ON
5. Kyle Baillie – (NOLA Gold) Summerside, PEI
6. Justin Blanchet – (Bedford Blues) Montreal, QC
7. Lucas Rumball – Captain (Toronto Arrows) Mississauga, ON
8. Dustin Dobravsky – (Castaway Wanderers) Hanover, Germany
9. Jamie Mackenzie – (Toronto Arrows) Oakville, ON
10. Pat Parfrey – (Unattached) St. John’s, NL
11. Kainoa Lloyd – (Toronto Arrows) Mississauga, ON
12. Ciaran Hearn – (London Irish) Conception Bay South, NL
13. Nick Blevins – (Calgary Hornets) Calgary, AB
14. Andrew Coe – (Markham Irish) Toronto, ON
15. Theo Sauder – (Toronto Arrows) Vancouver, BC
16. Benoit Piffero – (Blagnac Sporting Club) Montreal, QC
17. Noah Barker – (Glendale Raptors) Courtenay, BC
18. Ryan Kotlewski – (Westshore RFC) Calgary, AB
19. Conor Keys – (Rotherham Titans) Stittsville, ON
20. Nakai Penny – (Seattle Seawolves) Penticton, BC
21. Will Percillier – (Stade Francais) Mill Bay, BC
22. Gordon McRorie – (Calgary Hornets) Calgary, AB
23. Doug Fraser – (Austin Elite) Ladysmith, BC
Buydens, Howard and Sheppard will certainly shore up what was a porous pack against Brazil with Piffero returning and on the pines, the FRF should be more technically capable in this outing. The potential in the backs looks like they have the ability to score tries although in this pundit’s eyes, the Mackenzie-Parfrey link has yet to impress. Ne’er-the-less it should be a good bang for the buck. Not sure how ticket sales are going, given the dismal showing down south however fyi, there will only be 1000 seats and the rest standing room, so avail yourself of the offer below. As usual parking will be an issue at Westhills, there will be some room for early birds at Belmont Secondary, (past the stadium and up the hill on your left but I stress early). Parking for this site is a predicament and Mayor Stew and the powers that be will need to have a solution in mind if they wish this to be a truly iconic venue. So, rug up and go, Canada!
FOOTNOTE: CW thanks Nigel Seale, successful bidder for package of four. ‘onya, Nig!
“Our overall feeling is one of disappointment as we did not play well. Frequently we got started only for our momentum to be stopped by a knock-on," commented head coach Jeff Williams. "However the coaching staff recognizes the benefit of this match to our future, as our shape in offence and defense is improving."