CW Girls Rugby is a well-established program that was started in 2011/2012 with only 12 girls. It is an award winning program with 3 Rugby Canada National awards over the past 7 seasons (Female Coach of the Year - 2015 and Young Female Athlete of Year in 2015 and 2016). The program now supports girls only development format for girls ranging from the U10 to U18 age grades with over 50 girls now participating. CW has been leader in girl’s rugby development in the Victoria area and has been very active in developing dedicated girl’s programs at the club and high school level.
The girls train twice a week from Sept to December and compete in the provincial U19 league. The U16-U19 girls program competes in the Provincial U16-U19 league with island and mainland clubs. The club competition is divided into 2 halves with the 1st half (September-October) focused on the 7s format culminating in a provincial wide tournament in Kamloops for age grades from U14 through to U19. The 2nd half (Nov-Dec) is focused on 15s competition that culminates in a final tournament in early December. Team composition is often determined by club numbers and teams are often merged to create joint teams for clubs with fewer players.
In addition, our program works closely with local coaches and Rugby Canada to provide top-notch instruction to the athletes. Since the program's inception, we schedule multiple training sessions each season with both the NSW7s centralized athletes and local club players. In the past few years, we have expanded our training to include special all-female jamborees for the full range of the age groups with involvement from NSW7s and NSW15s players, club and University players. For this season, girls will participate in a trip to Kamloops for a weekend tournament, special training sessions at Zuma fitness studio (used by Rugby Canada), and regional championship tournaments on the mainland.
The program supports two full divisions in a competitive environment for the following age grades. For more information on each, select the link on each of the programs listed below:
Age Grade - Junior Women
• Under 19 (includes both U16/U19 girls) - Girls in the U16 to U18 ages compete in a fall provincial league with teams from the island and mainland. We now have 2 distinct age grade teams in both U16 and U19 divisions.
• U14 - This division has now expanded with other clubs now participating (JBAA, Westshore). Competitions with local clubs and participation in Kamloops and end of season tournaments.
Mini Rugby - girls
- U12 - all-girls team that joins in with the U14 girls team for practices. They play against other U12 all-girls teams in games throughout the season.
- U11 - girls participate in a co-ed program with an introduction to contact and will join in with all-girls events when appropriate.
- U7-U9 - girls participate in co-ed non-contact programs and will join in with all-girls events when appropriate.
While program is focused on skill development and player development through the player pathway, competitive games are introduced as early as possible with CW teams entering inter-club competition. The CW U18 girls program has seen recent success in the Provincial U18 division where it won the provincial championship last year (2017/2018).
The CW girls program has developed athletes for Regional (Tsunami and Tide) and BC Provincial teams from U15 to U18 divisions and both age grade and senior national teams. A number of our girls participate in the Canadian Sport School at PISE and now the Rugby Canada Academy. Many of our graduates are now playing Senior Women and University level rugby throughout the country, and have been honoured with representative selections national levels (U20, NSW7s). Just as important as the on field results, the program promotes inclusiveness and personal development through leadership opportunities within the club and rugby community.